Tales of a Psychology Major

Friday, June 10, 2005

My Foot In The Door and My Hand In Your Wallet

Sometimes our text book really does read like a Retail Sales Guide To Life.
I love it. For a few reasons.
1. I know the general population won't read the text book. This includes most college students, so I can rest assured that the techniques I use on a daily basis will still be effective.
2. It explains two of my favorite techniques for getting myself more commission perfectly.

It is not easy to sell $200 worth of supplements to one customer. I do it constantly. There is something fun about knowing that as soon as I convince you to buy one teeny, tiny, little thing, you might as well hand your wallet over to me.
First thing I'll do is smile at you sweetly. Ask you how your day is, as if I really truly care. Then all I do is show you our neat new product. That's it. My foot is already in the door, and most people don't even know it yet. I convince you that you truly need that multivitamin (what I need are my multivitamin sales to go up). After that, it's smooth sailing. Have you tried our Vitamin C? It compliments the other supplements you take. Try our discount card (I'll spare you the name of it for sake of my employment, but it's gold. Hint hint). It only costs $15 to sign up for it, and you save a certain percent off of purchases you make during a few selected days of every month that you won't remember.

Do I hate it? Yup. Do I feel like a jerk for selling people crap they don't need? Yup.
Will I stop it? Nope. It's amazing that I sleep so well at night.

Maybe our store should carry our text book.
I'd have to be sure to rip out Chapter 4, the last thing I need are my sales going down.

1 comment(s):

That's hilarious.
Someone once asked a guy who makes a ton of money selling junk to other people, "how do you sleep at night, selling worthless junk to people?"

The sleezy salesman replied, "On Silk Sheets."

Mr Life Insurance

By Blogger Monty Loree, at 7:38 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home